Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I like to listen to songs over and over again. Not all the time but when I find that there is a song that tugs at my heart strings I tend to want to hear it as long as possible in that singular moment. There is generally something in a song or a melody that I don't understand. That is why I tend to want to go over it again and again.

There is a mystery to a peice of art. When you can listen to something, or look at something, or read something that has been intertwined with the soul it no longer remains something humanly created. There is a divine peice that has partnered with it as well.

Most of the time when I come into contact with a peice of art like this I realize who I am in that moment. I become very small when I come into a collision with something that is full of soul. Simply because I realize that I, for one did not create these things, which makes me realize that I am not God. Secondly, because I am not God I have a great appreciation for what God has done. Thirdly it brings me to a place where I can worship God more definitley because I am not God, I am his child.

This is how I view the great scripture that has been taught to me over all of my time going to church. So many times I approach scripture in such a laxed way. I come to it with the mentality that I will go in to it and then evaluate my life. Instead of letting the scripture come into me and evaluating me. I have lost the revreance for scripture simply because no one has ever really taught it to me.

So let me say this, for all of the readers who come to my blog for one reason or another, scripture is much bigger than you or I will ever be. Now you can naysay it and tell me that I am reading the wrong translation, or that the Greek manuscripts used didn't all match up. You can throw textual criticism around all you want, and there is definitley a place for that.

However, when you come to scripture with the attitude of analyzing it and tearing it apart why then do you wonder about the desparing world around us? Because if you come into scripture analyzing it, then it is not truly changing your life hence it will not change the lives around you.

To everyone who preaches scripture if you are truly aware of the scripture that you are preaching please come to it in prayer and contemplation. Do not take something and just add illustrations and stories to make it sound better. Scripture has a life of it's own. It doesn't always need to be explained away with an illustration.

Realizing that Scripture is so much more than just words on a page, but is written with a soul attatched and with a divine hand we can come to it in humility. We can realize that we are not God because we did not create it. We can also give the appreciation of scripture towards God since we did not create it ourselves, and then we can glorify and honor God through our worship because we can understand who we are in accordance to God.

We can go back to scripture over and over again, just like I do with a song that seems to grasp my soul.

No comments: