Sunday, November 16, 2008

Moral Theology is Dead.

I heard this song on the radio tonight when I was driving home. It struck me in sort of a funny way. The first two lines specifically, "I'm sittin' at a bar on the inside, waitin' for a ride on the outside'. I actually wrote down the lines on a receipt so I would remember what I wanted to write about. The reason these lines are interesting is that it is the perfect image of what the false self has the ability to do. I have come to the conclusion that moral theology is a waste of my time. Jesus Christ didn't die so that I can be moral! He didn't rise on the third day so that he could find a bunch of disciples swearing that they would be moral citizens. I understand that morality is part of walking in God's ways through Christ, but it certainly is not the main component.
I am so weary of moral theology.

But, these two lines struck me, not because of my problem with moral theology, but because it shows the very fine line with human nature and with a sinful nature. Human nature cannot be originally sinful, because if it was Jesus would have been born sinful. The Catholics think they can weasel their way out of this one, but it has a lot of holes. So, if Jesus was human, and Jesus was sinless than human nature must be made in something else. If this is true there must be a distinction between human nature and sinful nature.

These two lines reminded me of the line that we walk as humans. It can be a completely volatile line and it can be a completely beautiful line. The conservative evangelicals would say run as far away from the line as you can, so to not enter into anything compromising, and I certainly see the wisdom in that, but what if you find yourself in a situation where you must choose the lesser of two evils.

Like Bonhoeffer for example. Or Jesus.

Jesus walked the line, because the line is not sinful. Being human is not a sin. That is the line that we find ourselves walking. The walk of humanity. It would be easy to run away from the line. To not ever look back. To put ourselves in very safe places, places we consider divine, but the line is still there, because we are still human. We have been created. We are not the creator.
We walk a line of humanity that has the potential to cause us great harm. This line has the potential to cause others great harm as well, but it also has the ability to bring out the most beauty.

Are you willing to walk the line. Are you willing to set aside your moral limitations and actually admit that you are human? If I was forced into believing that moral theology is the key to understanding Christ I would be completely willing to surrender my faith and my belief system so I could be comfortable being human.

God created me human, shouldn't I embrace it?

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Alison,
I always love reading your blog, but I had to comment this time. You hit the nail on the head... often. Its so great to see someone else grow and develop in faith.
See ya round sometime.

kelly said...

This is my favorite thing you have written bf