Thursday, September 10, 2009

My walking days.

I walk almost every day. The practical reason for walking is to get exercise and to give the dogs an opportunity to exercise.

But, do I really do anything that is just practical? I like walking because it gives me an opportunity to create space in my life for God to move. I see things when I walk that I wouldn't normally see while I drive, or even ride my bike.

Some of things I have seen on my walks;
 A fox run across the road,
a sunset,
trees that touch the sky,
little children,

I see a lot of things on my walks. But, my walks are also ways where I get to talk with people. I see people around town that attend our church and I get to sit down and talk, or just wave and smile. In a way it is a slight reminder that says, hey, I am in this with you.

Today I was walking and I saw Margie on her front porch reading the newspaper. Margie is our 92 year old door greeter. Every Sunday I ask her how she is doing and she pulls me so that my ear is next to her mouth and tells me that she is mean as ever. On my first meeting of Margie I found out that she sews all her own clothes, she mows her own lawn, and she still drives. She also warned me not to go to the doctor, or to trust lawyers.

Well I have gotten to know Margie over the last month we have lived here and she is a foundation of the Gospel. I sat with her this morning and she gave me the wisdom of her age. She encouraged me to save my money, to settle my disagreements with my husband quickly, to always talk affectionately to my mama and pap.

I also found out today that Margie has lost four sisters, a set of parents, a husband, and a son. She is what our society calls a survivor. This women has experienced the pains and sorrows of life. She has lost much, but she gets out every day. She drives all over the place, visiting our Christian brothers and sisters in the faith who are shut it, hospitalized and reside in nursing homes. She visits with these people and she prays with them all. She is crass and earthy like our good old Anne Lamont, but she has the age to live it out.

I am not trying to romanticize Margie, I am just trying to show that it takes all kinds. Every person, young, and old are called to be faithful. At 92 Margie could have easily given up by now. She has lost almost everyone around her that she cared about. She could sit in her own self pity, but she is a light even now.

We are called to live out our conversion in every decision that we make. Even when we have lost everything. Even when we have gained everything.

1 comment:

Steve Robinson said...

Indeed, EVERYONE should know and have a Margie in their life. It is sad that people are afraid of old people. They are a rich treasure if we'll spend some time digging.