Friday, April 08, 2005

A great Injustice

I just finished reading an pretty incredible book by the name of In the Presence of My Enemies. It is written by a women name Gracia who was abducted with her husband, Martin, by a group of terrorists in 2000. They remained in the custody of this group for one year and two days.
There are very few books that really move me and this is definetley one of them. I can only recall two others. The Bible, and a book by Brennan Manning, called The Signiture of Jesus.
I highly recommend this book to everyone, Christian or not, it is an incredible book.
The reason that I liked this book so much is becuase it's definitley not run of the mill. It's about two Christian missionaries who have to live their lives everyday for Christ in a place of persecution and fear. In the end Martin gets shot and killed and Gracia gets rescued by the Phillipeans' military.
This book gets me into an emotional rollercoaster becuase I'm wanting to fight the injustices of these two Christians. What's odd about their journey is that they served Christ together for fifteen years prior and I as I read through their journey I wondered why would God put his faithful servants through such a hard time. It astounded my when Gracia's husband dies and she just puts her faith in Christ once again. She goes back and celebrates his life with their family and friends. Personally I would not know what to do with myself if my husband got shot.
I'm also not at that life stage or that faith.
I just thouroughly enjoyed this book. It questioned my faith and why I do what I do. It made me question God's mysterious plan.