Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I have never experienced a transition like this before. I have always had a hard time with transitions.

Every new beginning, every new move, every new ending takes a toll on my soul. It is almost like I go through a week or two of despair.

I don't want to get out of bed, I become extremely fatalistic, and I basically become a troll loitering under my own bridge of self pity.

Then I get into a routine and I am fine.

But, this transition was very different. It seems to be that this transition has moved through our lives in such a smooth way.

It's actually quite bizarre.

However, I think i know what has happened.

I think many men and women who find themselves following Christ find themselves in the desert. They find themselves in a dry place, an arid place, a place that almost starves their soul to death.

But in this desert they seem to come across this contemplative peace. This world that is surrounded by inner understanding. Almost and inner rest. But, this rest does not come from any thing or anyone in particular. It comes from the loneliness that they entered into the desert. This loneliness leads them into the desert and it is turned into a contemplative spirit by the power of the Holy Spirit. They find that the loneliness they had for their friends, their families, their school, their old life, has been deserted. They no longer need those things because they have found the ultimate rest in the life of Christ. Even their greatest love is faint in comparison to their life found in Christ.

Everything and everyone seems almost dispensable.

Everyone and everything are Christ's too. That is the biggest comfort. That is where the soul rests. In the reality and the truth of Christ's sovereignty. The lonely person does not have to put her worth, her value, her comfort in the things or people around her, because they will all fade away in time. However, this world and all the people in it are created and formed by Christ and therefore, are His.

I do not have to worry, or lament, or wonder about the people I love, because they have Christ and Christ has them.

2 comments:

Steve Robinson said...

Alison, I just clicked the link from Waylon's blog and read your last few posts. God bless you both and may you both be a blessing to the congregation there. Yes, the desert exists even in Illinois. :)

dylan higgins said...

al
nice writing as always, and great thinking ...
you should put all these blog entries together, edit them, and see if they could make a collection or book ..
could be eh?
love
dad