Friday, August 21, 2009

The Move

My husband and I just moved to Christopher, Il. The church gave us a moving allowance so we decided to rent a Uhaul and buy some Uhaul boxes. My wonderful brother came down to help pack us up and on Monday, August 16th we moved.

When we showed up the previous tenants of the house we were going to rent were still living in the house. So, we stayed with a couple from the church. The next day we got the opportunity to move into our rental home. When we walked in the smell hit us first. It was a mixture of dirt, old cigarette smoke, and putridity. We walked around and noticed the 70's shag carpet, the pink toilet and bath tub and the completely dirty shower floor. Waylon saw it on my face. I was not looking forward to living in this house.

I decided to take my discouraged, disturbed spirit to WalMart to get cleaning supplies. I was cranky and my head hurt. I got the cleaning supplies and headed back to find an army of women and men from the church cleaning our house. What a blessing.

However, I was still hot, as we do not have air conditioning, so after the cleaning, the chemicals, and the unloading, I got sick. I laid on my bed in such a melo-dramatic state and lapped around in my self pity. Oh, poor me.

I made the choice to be thankful for this house. I made the choice to get up and unpack and to start making this house our transitional home.

I made the choice to put pictures on the semi clean walls, to put dishes in the semi clean cabinets, and to wear flip flops. I will not pity the blessing of a place to live.

But, I still had to make the choice, and since I have made the choice I can be content in our stinky house. My eyes have also been opened to the great blessings we have received in the last week.

First blessing; we had help cleaning and unloading our truck. We started at ten and we had the house clean and the truck unloaded by one thirty.

Second blessing; the church came together and bought us food to fill our cabinets.

Third blessing; we are receiving a washer and a dryer on Monday.

Fourth blessing; a wonderful women from the church came and took us out to dinner Tuesday night to the local pizza place.

Fifth blessing; the local pizza place.

Sixth blessing; We drove down the road for a while and found a quaint, Internet free, coffee shop. This is my recent blessing because I love coffee shops and I love coffee!

Seventh blessing; Waylon and I have gotten closer through this move.

Eighth blessing; The church.

So, all in all we have such a sense of peace and contentment in regards to where we are as a couple and as disciples of Christ. I have a hard time following Christ with Waylon, but I feel like God continues to shower us with his living water even when we are in the desert.

No comments: