Sunday, April 02, 2006

No Bounds


I was sitting on the train that was traveling from London to Nottingham with a team of ten college students and one professor. The students around me got into the a conversation of some sorts about how we should interact with non Christians. Those who find their value and worth in the empty things of this world. I sat there and listened to some of the things that were said but I had Death Cab for Cutie ringing in my ears. Which if you know me well you know that I am spiritually stimulated when I listen to music of any kind. So I let the conversation that was surrounding me and the music intermix and started thinking about how I would respond if I entered into the conversation.

Love them. That’s it. That’s all I would say. Don’t try and convert them in that moment, and don’t judge them...just love them. This thought I would have backed up by using the illustration of Christ’s life.

And then God threw a theological and emotional brick in my face, which usually happens when I think I am right.

Jesus did illustrate love with his life. And time and time again I will speak of how Jesus suffered for me. But during that train ride I realized I was the one spitting on him. I was the one flogging the man that I so called loved. Now let me bring it back into our world because over and over I have heard that example used in sermons to drive the emotion. But in my life I continually put up walls and boundaries around people. I use the excuse of "Im just being wise" but in reality I just don’t want to get hurt.

Christ never put boundaries up. He never reacted to a Roman guard spitting on him. He only acted on the fact that he was and is God, and God is love. Psychologically we continue to put walls up because we again know that if we don’t we will get walked all over. We will become a door mat. Makes sense.

I walk all over Jesus. You know what he does. He doesn’t put psychological walls up in a justification that it’s normal and right. He loves me.

No comments: