Sunday, September 23, 2007

God has given me the opportunity to mentor a couple of different young women who live on my floor. I love spending time with these women and really investing in their lives. Yesterday, one of these women took me to her home town to meet her family. All the way she told me stories of each building we passed.

"That's the hospital where my mom used to work at and where I was born, and where my dad died."

"My aunt lives down that road,"

"This is the restaurant that my family and I always eat at when we are in town,"

"This is the yard where my dad, my uncles, and my cousins used play whiffle ball,"

"This is where I went to church my whole life,"

All these places, and memories have made this young women who she is.

We started in the cemetery where half of her family is buried, including her father. We then moved onto the first street that she got her fist accident on, and the first house she lived in. We then went to her grandparent's house and I saw all of the embarrassing pictures that you have to take when you are younger. All and all we had a great time and some great conversation.

It was a great experience and you cannot truly understand where someone comes from unless you put yourself in their shoes at one point. Atticus Finch could grasp this idea. I wonder why it's so hard for us to grasp?

No comments: