Thursday, October 18, 2007

I am the way the truth and the life.-Jesus

I am reading G.K. Chesterton write down. We have started conversing about his book Orthodoxy quite a bit and he hits on a lot of stuff that I have been thinking through in concern to theology and philosophy.

"Spiritual doctrines do not actually limit the mind as do materialistic denials. Even if I believe in immorality I need not to think about it. In the first case the road is open and I can go as far as I like; in the second the road is shut. But the case is even stronger, and the parallel with madness is yet more strange. For it was our case against the exhaustive and logical theory of the lunatic that, right or wrong, it gradually destroyed his humanity."

For whoever wants to save his life will lost it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it.-Jesus

So lets talk about this life idea. I have life. I come out breathing and screaming and in essence living. But what is the life that Jesus is talking about? I know that we walk around dead when we are sinners, but how are we walking around in death. In my mind death is the end of a living organism. Which means nothing will be walking around if it is dead. But then I think about Hell or what we view of Hell as the western church. If we are dead in hell then we are not living.

I guess I need to redefine death and redefine life for this paradox to truly make sense.

No comments: