Sunday, October 07, 2007

I'm Anti-somethin'

For such a long time I have lived in Absolutes. I have had a couple of bad experiences with relationships and have chalked them all off. For three years I have been completely turned off to the idea of dating and marriage. I guess I came on campus and suddenly dating and marriage were status quo. It was like their was no longer a holy union. It had been torn apart by the mediocrity of our culture.

And I didn't want any part of this mediocre culture. I have never been one to settle for something that wasn't Awe inspiring. I didn't want to get into a relationship with someone who didn't understand my kingdom purpose. Heck, I didn't want to get into a relationship with any of my peers because no one really understood me. I weirded them out. Not only were they turned off but I started being turned off by this whole realm of flowers and candy and cheesiness. To the point where at the beginning of this semester I had completely given up on the whole thing.

I was talking to a professor on campus and I was telling him this reality of singleness in my own life and he just smiled at me. He said "okay, let's see how this semester unfolds for you." I was so frustrated with him because I just wanted to be left alone. I wanted to sink in my education and I wanted to be left alone. I was content with me and God. I was content with what my life was going to look like single. I didn't want anyone to come and mess it up.

But God knows me better than I know myself. He actually cares for me more than I care for myself. And he put someone in my life that just wouldn't seem to leave me alone. (more on this later maybe)

So, today, I was sitting in the car and I was talking to my roommate and she asked me this, "So alison, do you feel kind of like an ass for doing what you said you would never do?"

And I told her no, I said "I guess I hate bad relationships, and by bad relationships I mean unhealthy ones. I hate anything that is not kingdom focused. I hate relationships that are all about selfish realities. I guess I have to say that I am kind of an absolutist and so if I have a couple of bad experiences than I just chuck the whole thing out the window. I hate being an absolutist too. "

So while I have always been Anti most things I guess its okay to give in once in a while. Otherwise life wouldn't be as spontaneous as it is.

This post didn't make any sense, at least probably not to you...haha.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

I think I am anti absolute too. Only thing that is ever absolute is God.

Lucas said...

Someone once said to me, "If you want to do Great things for the kingdom stay single. If you want to truly understand God, fall in love, get married and have children."