Friday, June 15, 2007

change

So I’m just going to be honest because that is what I’m known for. I am nineteen years old and I am a Sophomore in College. I started this writing this project when I was a freshmen in college and I am sure that I won’t finish it until I am out of college and well on my way to becoming whatever God wants me to be. I am naive and I am ignorant and these writings are things that I have seen and experienced in the church. I have no right to be a writer and I have no right to say the things that I do. I am only nineteen and these days nineteen year olds don’t know what they want to do with their lives. In our culture nineteen year olds aren’t really responsible for anything they do. They shouldn’t have to go to work, they shouldn’t have to have any large responsibilities and they shouldn’t have to figure out what is really going on in the world. Well I have a reputation of going against the grain on purpose. I’m the kid who always takes her classes out of order and parked in the teacher’s parking lot. I have never really followed the rules. I figured I would go with the Roman’s mentality. Adopt and Adapt. I’m nineteen years old and I don’t want to be a feather in the wind. I want to do something great. I want to be a legend. I have no time to waste because I could be gone tomorrow.

I am to young to have experienced a lot but I do know one thing for sure. God has a sense of rooting for the underdog. He had a tendency to put people that know one believed in, into leadership and he gave them something to say. I pray that you know the reason I write is solely because I want to share my observations of the church. I pray that you know that all I want to do is share the Gospel. I don’t want to sell the Gospel and I don’t want to defend it. That is not in my job description. All I want to do is share it. The reason is because It was shared with me and it changed my life. Plus sharing seems like a better idea. When you share you allow the other person to partake in something that you thoroughly enjoy.

A story that comes to mind is when my parents first met in college. They were both taking a music theory class at Eastern Illinois University and my mom had brought a bag of Oreo’s. My dad loved Oreo’s and to this day will eat the whole package in one sitting if he’s allowed. My dad mentioned to my mom in class that he loved Oreo’s and so she decided to share with him. That simple act eventually led to my birth. Which I view as highly important.

I have a two year old niece who we are trying to teach to share. It is a household rule in America. You learn how to share in kindergarten. It is something that is essential to growing up. It is essential to community. Something that I have learned in my short life is that I would rather someone share with me that sell me something or force something down my throat. I don’t want you to force food on my if I walk in your house but you can share you dinner with me. I don’t want you to sell me your coffee but if you make some I will probably partake in it. I don’t want you to sell me the Gospel or force it down my throat, but if you live it around me and offer to share it with me I might give it a chance.

No comments: