Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Theology or Not?

I was having a conversation with one of our leadership residents a couple of days ago and I said something that shocked her. She has just graduated from Seminary and I said something that is potentially heretical according to seminary.

"I truly believe that my theology and my relationship with God needs to be separated."

She looked like I just took my pocket knife and started cutting my own arm off.

I continued the conversation and stated that if my study of God is the overarching reality in my collision with God then I don't really have a relationship with God.

My relationship with God should spur my study of God. This can also go the other way. My study of God can enhance my relationship with God but I do believe that they are very different realities.

No comments: