Monday, June 25, 2007

I don't want mud on my wedding dress.

"Why does love do this sort of thing? Why does it ruin stuff?" Friend.

For the first time in the last three years I realized there is a really big difference between God's love and the World's love.

"Well, love isn't supposed to hurt people. God's love isn't anyway. God's love doesn't destroy relationships and put people in danger. What we are seeing isn't God's love. I don't really know what to call it. I would have to make up a word for it.....

I guess I would call it worldly love." Me

"It's just sad" Friend.

"I know." Me

I went to Bible college and in the first two weeks I had people tell me openly that the only reason that they were attending was to find a husband or a wife.

There is actually a saying that is tossed around; "Ring by Spring and your tuition's free."

The percentage of couples that get married and divorced in the secular world is the same as it is in the Bible College world. Interesting.

I used to pick up books like :I kissed Dating Goodbye" and "And, The Bride Wore White" and I observed if what these intelligent authors were writing was crucial and being taken seriously in the Christian circles.

I stopped picking those books up.

I listened to couple after couple come into our school and talk about marriage and how it should work.

I only have seen two or three couples in my own life who haven't missed the point and who live it out.

I once heard a metaphor that was stated to the girls on my floor.

"If you are running towards God and you look next to you and there is a man running at the same speed running towards God than it's right and good."

I would disagree, I would say that if you are running towards God and you collide with someone and God all at the same time than it's 'right' and 'good'.

I have started telling people that I have stopped dating and my friend keeps telling me;

"You'll want to start again when you want to get married"

But why get married when all I have seen in my life is destructive relationships?

Why invest my life into something that is so fickle?
Because the way I have always seen it is through the world's love. Most of my friends that I have seen in crappy relationships have been in worldly relationships.

I'm holding out though. I don't want to waste my time or my life on something that is temporary.

God created marriage. I'm not going to let the world pervert it. I refuse to allow the world's love to destroy any more of my friends lives.

I was once in the local magazine for declaring that I was going to be pure until my wedding night. I realize that it's not even about the physical anymore. Purity is an all encompassing thing. It is about the mind and the heart, not just about the body.

I don't want mud on my wedding dress or my wedded life.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Seriously, if God wants you to get married, it will happen. But it has to be HIS time, not yours. So often people want the opposite.
It is when I gave up on it, that my husband came into my life.
I pray you never lose your convictions.

kt :-) said...

Oh Ali...my good girl, Ali. :-) I know where you're coming from...I went to LCC too. I thought it was all obnoxious and managed to transfer before I even dated anyone at LCC--I like to think I would have made it all the way through if I would have stayed. And it still IS obnoxious. I somehow think that Christians have more of a fixation on marriage...which should be a good thing, but has often turned into a bad thing (thus the divorce rate).

I want you to do something, Ali. I want you to look around you for couples who are married and did it/do it the way God intended. Look at people like Dave and Sue Ferguson...Troy and Janet McMahon...Shawn and Lindsay...Jon and Lisa...Nick and Lisa...I think that there are a bunch of people at CCC and beyond that demonstrate that if you find the right person at the right time and marry them with the right perspective on marriage, that it can be one of the best decisions they made in their lives. Don't lose hope in marriage, Ali. It was created by God and it is a very good thing. :-) Love ya, Girl!!!!